Should You Be Taking Casein Supplements for Fitness?

  • Post author:

Supplements are a big deal for work out enthusiasts who are serious about obtaining and maintaining their fitness results. There are many different types of supplements out there designed for different aspects of working out. For instance, you can buy HGH injections to help increase your muscle growth and fat loss, while whey protein is useful for gaining weight while lifting weights.

Certain foods are good for your health and fitness and there are those that aren’t. But then there are others that fall into a gray area, such as casein.

What is Casein?

Casein makes up about 80 percent of the protein content inside of raw milk. The remaining 20 percent consists of whey. Whey protein is already popular in the fitness community for enhancing muscle growth and performance. You’ll find it as an ingredient in various sports nutrition bars and shakes.

Casein vs Whey

The milk sold in stores isn’t raw, which means much of the casein is depleted by the time milk hits store shelves. The difference between casein and whey is that whey is metabolized faster, which is why it’s considered a good choice in recovery formulas. Casein, on the other hand, digests more slowly. It contains anti-catabolic properties, which allows it to keep muscles from breaking down, even when you don’t eat. You can also achieve better muscle development when you buy HGH, like Genotropin or the Norditropin pen.

Also, whey has higher concentrations of amino acids like valine, eucine and isoleucine, which help stimulate muscle growth.

Different Types of Casein

You can find a variety of casein types, such as micellar casein and casein hydrolysate. Micellar casein is what’s normally used for sports nutrition and casein hydrolysate is sometimes used because it is predigested, allowing it to be absorbed more quickly than micellar casein.

There are three main sources of casein – cheese casein, raw milk and industrial casein. There are major differences between the three that are worth looking into.

Typically, casein is extracted from its source using heat processing or acid. Both are a concern, since it depletes the quality of casein. Many of the products in stores contain toxic residues due to the processing of casein. The benefits of casein sold in stores varies from study to study, which is why it’s placed in the gray area of the spectrum.

According to some experts, the best casein stems from native whole milk, which contains protein clusters known as micelles. It is bound with citrate ions, phosphate and calcium as well, making it the most functional type of casein available.

It’s important to note that some folks are sensitive to casein. If you are, then you should avoid all products containing the substance, no matter how high quality it is. After taking such products, watch for symptoms like bloating, indigestion, bad aftertaste and allergic reactions. Casein products should also be avoided by those who are suffering from liver or kidney disease.

Don’t Over-Consume Protein

Building muscles is a dream many people, old and young, have. However, you don’t want to take more supplements than you need to. There’s a misconception that consuming more protein can help increase your muscle building results. If that’s what you’re after, you should instead resort to the Norditropin pen, which is a form of HGH you can buy that comes premixed with the right dosage.

It’s very important to mind your protein consumption, so that you don’t overdo it. If you consume more than your body can handle it can cause adverse effects, such as cancer development. Consider working with a fitness expert to help ensure your diet and supplement intake are on point.